Persuasion Secret #4
People buy from people they like
Whether you are a salesperson making face-to-face sales calls, a telemarketer on the phone, or a marketing
executive trying to attract business to your company, this is critical.
There's an old saying "all things being equal, people buy from people they like. All things not being equal,
people buy from people they like.
- A process of responsiveness, not necessarily “liking”
- Allows you to enter their state and communicate more effectively
- When people are like each other, they like each other
- The more commonality, the better the rapport
Rapport comes from commonality so find things that you have in common with the person that you want to get into
rapport with. You can share these things to begin the process of creating rapport:
- Common experiences
- Representational system
- Body language
- Voice tones, speed and volume
The quickest way to create rapport
The quickest way to create rapport is to match the physiology of the other person including:
- Position of head, shoulders, spine, arms, hands
- Arm position. Folded or open.
- Idiosyncratic gestures
- Facial expression & blinking
- Smile or frown
- Animated or stoic