Non Verbal Communication
How To Tell If Someone Is Lying
People lie for a variety of reasons. It may be to cover up a fault or embarrassment, to avoid upsetting other
people, to encourage when no hope can be perceived, or to be spared from petty hassles. It may also be due to more
serious psychological problems such as delusional imaging or extreme vanity.
- Here are some indications that are conveyed by people when lying:
- They speak in a high-pitched, fast-paced, stuttering voice.
- They are constantly swallowing and clearing their throat.
- They try their best to avoid having eye contact. This applies particularly to people who want to avoid
discussing a certain topic.
- They look somewhere else and glimpse from the corner of their eye.
- They stick their tongue out to moist their lips.
- They are blinking rapidly.
- They rub their throat.
- Their arms are crossed over the chest.
- They are constantly touching parts of their face, especially the mouth, ear, and nose as if covering
- They scratch their head or the back of the neck.
- Their poses are closed, descending, and insecure.
- Their hands or feet are tapping.
- They always look down with shrugged shoulders.
- They are constantly moving from one place to another or changing their poses.
- They are projecting parts of their body (feet) to an escape route (door).
Here's More On How To Tell If Someone Is Lying
If you would like to know more about how to tell if someone is lying here are a few simple
techniques you can use.
1. Use The “Good Cop, Bad Cop” Tactic.
This is one of the most popular methods in the world. Policemen have been using it for decennaries. So how
does good cop, bad cop work incisively? Simple.
Two of you will question, the suspected lyer. One of you will play the good cop and the other one will
take on the role of the bad cop. The good cop tells the person that they are in good hands, that they can get
out of the awkward situation if only they told the truth. And then the bad cop (person) comes in to scare
the person into telling the truth.
In this kind of situation, the good cop commonly gets the confession. The good cop gives the person some
reassurance that all will be well at last. The bad cop is a decoy to apply pressure.
2. Look Them In The Eye.
Another method you can use to find out if someone is lying is the “look me straight in the
eye” scheme. This is very effective when used on people you are close to.
Ask them to look you straight in the eye when you ask an answer. Or you can look them straight in the eye
yourself. When the person at issue can’t even meet your gaze, something is up. It won’t take a lot of persuading to
get that person to tell the truth.