Non Verbal Communication
Indications of Frustration / Dismay
A basketball coach whose team loses by a point may scream “Aaarrrrrrr!” or he may just keep quiet while
making certain body movements that indicate how disappointed he is. Here are some body language
signals that reveal frustration.
- Scratching/rubbing the hair or the back of the neck.
- They kick the dust or air.
- Lips which are pulled inwards from all directions. This is one step short of biting a lip.
- Biting a lip can be a sign of extreme frustration.
- Waving arms wildly.
- Drumming or tapping fingers. (May also indicate boredom.)
In all cases, don't rely entirely on body language. Be sure to evaluate other indicators such as situation,
words, and voice tones.
Other non verbal communication body language cues:
Open To Agreement • Thinking • Action Orientation • Defensive
Hiding Something • Lying • Boredom • Excitement • Confidence • Power • Authority
Anger • Nervousness • Tension • Doubt • Pride • Needs Reassurance